Why Join Us?
Located west of Portland on the beautiful Oregon Coast, Near Space Corporation values innovation, teamwork, commitment and offers an environment of growth and advancement opportunities. Specializing in the testing and maturing of space and aviation technologies, NSC has extensive experience providing relevant space like environments for maturing new technologies and testing concepts of operations using high altitude balloons and UAVs.
Reports to: President
Schedule: Monday – Friday, occasional weekends
Typical Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Near Space Corporation’s (NSC) Controller and Contracts Manager is overall responsible for the accounting operations of the company and oversight of contractual requirements and reporting. These roles are closely related and extremely interdependent.
The Controller function guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures. The Controller monitors and confirms financial condition by managing daily transactions, maintaining cost accounts, providing regular reporting, conducting audits, and providing information to external auditors. They are also responsible for cash management, and oversee the Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Payroll functions.
The Contract Manager function analyzes all requirements and provisions in new contracts, including terms and conditions, coordinates with outside counsel, and ensures compliance with all laws, regulations, and company policies and procedures. They ensure that contracts are executed in accordance with corporate guidelines and that all required communications are completed and recorded.
- Maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
- Support the preparation of budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Oversee the activities of disbursements, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, and expense reports. Maintain cash control, complete payroll processing, and ensure corporate tax compliance.
- Oversee the accounts receivable requirements, to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings, cash receipts application, etc.
- Support new business development by conducting cost accounting estimates with input from engineering, operations, and management.
- Serve as customer support liaison for contractual delivery scheduling and orders.
- Review new contracts for risk, terms and conditions, and compliance requirements, and coordinate with outside counsel for legal support.
- Provide formal submission of all price quotes, proposals, and data requirements of open contracts.
- Managing processes
- Financial software
- Developing standards
- Auditing, accounting, and corporate finance
- Tracking budget expenses
- Contract management
- Analyzing information
- Developing budgets
- Performance management
- Communication skills
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the operations, performance management, training and development, safety, and timecards of the employees within the department.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 5+ year’s supervisory or management experience
- Training in contract management
Preferred Education and Experience
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Government contracting and cost accounting
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in contract management
- Financial reporting requirements (GAAP)
Equal Employment Opportunity
NSC is an equal opportunity employer who focuses on building a culture where differences are valued. Our mission of leveraging new technology is achieved by embracing diversity and providing an inclusive workforce. NSC employment is based on competence, qualifications, merit, performance, and business need.
This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens. All persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity within three (3) days of being hired. Failure to submit such proof within the required time shall result in immediate employment termination.
- In connection with an application for employment and as a condition of continuing employment, investigative background inquiries may be made on including previous employers, schools, consumer credit, criminal convictions, motor vehicle, and other reports. These reports will include information as to character, work habits, performance, education, compensation, and experience along with reasons for termination of employment from previous employers. Furthermore, the company may be requesting information from various federal, state, and other agencies which maintain records concerning past activities relating to driving, credit, criminal, civil, and other experiences as well as claims involving the applicant in the files of insurance companies. In connection with your application, the applicant authorizes without reservation, any party or agency contacted to furnish the above-mentioned information and release all parties involved from liability and responsibility for doing so. You hereby consent to obtaining the above information from Near Space Corporation and/or any of their agents. This authorization and consent shall be valid in original, fax, or copy form.
- Near Space Corporation is a drug-free work place, we require all candidates for employment to submit to and successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen for the presence of illegal drugs and controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successfully completing the drug screen. Candidates who refuse to take the pre-employment drug screen will not be hired by Near Space Corporation.
- All hiring and employment at Near Space Corporation is at will. I understand this application is not an employment contract, nor can it be used to create one. Employment by Near Space Corporation has no specific term and may be terminated by the employee or Near Space Corporation with or without notice. I acknowledge that Near Space Corporation has not made any promises or representations that differ from those contained in this paragraph.
- I understand I must provide satisfactory documents to establish my identity and right to work in the United States, if I am offered a position with Near Space Corporation, and that failure to provide this evidence will result in the termination of my employment.
- I release and agree to hold harmless any individual, company, business institution or government agency from all liability with regard to furnishing information to Near Space Corporation. I agree to release and hold harmless Near Space Corporation from all liability with respect to the receipt of such information.
- I certify that the information I have furnished on this application form is true and complete. I understand that if any misrepresentation has been made by me verbally or in writing, any offer of employment made to me may be withdrawn or my subsequent employment with Near Space Corporation may be terminated.
- Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, retirement plan, and holiday pay.