Why Join Us?
Located west of Portland on the beautiful Oregon Coast, Near Space Corporation values innovation, teamwork, commitment and offers an environment of growth and advancement opportunities. Specializing in the testing and maturing of space and aviation technologies, NSC has extensive experience providing relevant space like environments for maturing new technologies and testing concepts of operations using high altitude balloons and UAVs.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Department: Flight Operations/Administrative
Schedule: Monday – Friday, occasional weekends
Typical Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, overtime as needed
Near Space Corporation’s (NSC) Test Range Operations Manager officiates the operations of the Tillamook UAS Test Range. The Test Range Operations Manager is an intrinsically motivated leader with exceptional business development skills. This leader has a strong understanding of flight test operations and the unmanned industry, along with the FAA’s vision for integrating manned and unmanned aircraft. A well-demonstrated track of management analysis and planning techniques are essential to being successful at NSC.
As an executive leader, the Test Range Operations Manager strengthens the company by interfacing with customers, supporting business development, scheduling, allocating resources, managing daily operations, training staff and performing operational administrative duties. A successful Test Range Operations Manager is the company focal point for growing the business, attracting and retaining customers, and strategizing operational goals for organizational enhancements.
- Leads business development initiatives for the Tillamook UAS Test Range.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises activities pertaining to organization, training and communication activities.
- Manages effectiveness, efficiency, coordination and communication between customer and NSC personnel.
- Ensures organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization’s functions.
- Assures all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Customer and Vendor Relations
- Test Range operations
- Test Range and FAA standards Compliance
- Customer service representative
- Safety / Visual Observer
- Test Data entry / process compliance
- Assist with CONUS deployments to support customer testing and operations.
- Develop and communicate goals in support of the business’ mission.
- Consume responsibility for one’s own or one’s employees’ performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, and ensuring feedback promptly.
- Demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness.
- Address a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach by anticipating the implications and consequences of situations.
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the operations, performance management, training & development, safety, and time cards of the employees within the department.
Work Environment, Safety Commitment, & Travel
This job operates in a professional aviation environment and position diversity varies between office, flight hangar, production floor, flight line, and field operations.
Safety is both a program and a value which plays an integral part of the NSC mission. Safety as a value is shared between management and employees and is evidenced by collective thinking, planning, actions, and accountability. A positive safety culture at NSC includes communication based on mutual trust, shared perceptions of the importance of safety, confidence in the effectiveness of preventive measures, and support from everyone at NSC. Prospective employees must be committed to upholding the highest level of safety performance to ensure that all activities meet national and world-class standards for employees and customers.
This position may require up to 20% travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and is a sedentary role.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- Occasionally operates and moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, calculators, printers, etc.
- Frequently ascends/descends stairs to perform essential functions.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external partners and must be able to communicate thoughts clearly, document, remember information, and organize tasks.
- Must be able to observe and assess company documents.
- Occasionally extends hands and arms to access cabinets.
- Frequently performs motions of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers for typing, writing, etc.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s in Aerospace or Aviation Engineering (or commensurate 8-10 years practical experience)
- 3-5 years relevant management experience in aviation (project management principles, processes, etc.)
- Experience with the development of flight test plans
- Strong management analysis and planning techniques
- Successfully completed Private Pilot Ground School & Written Exam, approved by an FAA Examiner
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including: Word, Excel, E-mail, and web-enabled apps
- Valid Driver’s License
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business or Aviation Management
- 5+ years UAS experience in Flight Testing & Operations
- Commercial Pilot’s License with Instrument rating
Equal Employment Opportunity
NSC is an equal opportunity employer who focuses on building a culture where differences are valued. Our mission of leveraging new technology is achieved by embracing diversity and providing an inclusive workforce. NSC employment is based on competence, qualifications, merit, performance, and business need.
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens. All persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity within three (3) days of being hired. Failure to submit such proof within the required time shall result in immediate employment termination.
- In connection with an application for employment and as a condition of continuing employment, investigative background inquiries may be made on including previous employers, schools, consumer credit, criminal convictions, motor vehicle, and other reports. These reports will include information as to character, work habits, performance, education, compensation, and experience along with reasons for termination of employment from previous employers. Furthermore, the company may be requesting information from various federal, state, and other agencies which maintain records concerning past activities relating to driving, credit, criminal, civil, and other experiences as well as claims involving the applicant in the files of insurance companies. In connection with your application, the applicant authorizes without reservation, any party or agency contacted to furnish the above mentioned information and release all parties involved from liability and responsibility for doing so. You hereby consent to obtaining the above information from Near Space Corporation and/or any of their agents. This authorization and consent shall be valid in original, fax, or copy form.
- Near Space Corporation is a drug-free work place, we require all candidates for employment to submit to and successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen for the presence of illegal drugs and controlled substances. All offers of employment are contingent upon successfully completing the drug screen. Candidates who refuse to take the pre-employment drug screen will not be hired by Near Space Corporation.
- All hiring and employment at Near Space Corporation is at will. I understand this application is not an employment contract, nor can it be used to create one. Employment by Near Space Corporation has no specific term and may be terminated by the employee or Near Space Corporation with or without notice. I acknowledge that Near Space Corporation has not made any promises or representations that differ from those contained in this paragraph.
- I understand I must provide satisfactory documents to establish my identity and right to work in the United States, if I am offered a position with Near Space Corporation, and that failure to provide this evidence will result in the termination of my employment.
- I release and agree to hold harmless any individual, company, business institution or government agency from all liability with regard to furnishing information to Near Space Corporation. I agree to release and hold harmless Near Space Corporation from all liability with respect to the receipt of such information.
- I certify that the information I have furnished on this application form is true and complete. I understand that if any misrepresentation has been made by me verbally or in writing, any offer of employment made to me may be withdrawn or my subsequent employment with Near Space Corporation may be terminated.
Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, retirement plan, and holiday pay.